Diversity & Equality
Policy Development, Governance and Decision Making
The objectives of NN are:
- Provide venues for contemporary art whereby encounters with the work of contemporary artists and the ideas that shape their work are the focus of activities
- Broaden the audience for contemporary visual art, engaging people in the ideas, practices, and issues affecting artists and their work, and exploring connections with the social and cultural context of the gallery
- Promote diversity and equality of opportunity in contemporary visual art
- Engage people in the creative process of making art and support people who wish to pursue a career in art
- Contribute to current artistic debate and facilitate the making of work that extends contemporary art practice
- Equality and Diversity is integral to our Business Plan and governance structures, each year we will produce an action plan as part of this policy
- We nurture an ongoing relationship/partnership with organisations that promote issues of equality and diversity, such as the Northampton Carnival, Black Archives and The Eastern European Cultural Attache
- Diversity issues are considered as part of the recruitment policy at all levels, including at the Board level
- Our Arts Council diversity and equality monitoring is reviewed by staff
All our activities focus upon the core ideas of the exhibiting artists:
- Exhibitions: featuring emerging artists, international artists showing for the first time in the region, significant but overlooked historical figures and artist-focused group shows relevant to the current debate.
- Artists Projects: involving offsite commissions and performance.
- Education: including talks, family activities, schools, courses, and widening participation projects led by artists.
- When programming we consider the importance of developing a culturally diverse audience and also work to develop a programme of supporting events with each exhibition which will work to welcome all individuals who have previously felt excluded from the venue i.e. people with disabilities, people with learning difficulties, people from low-income households.
- Keeping our exhibitions free and open to all
- Continuing provision for working with young artists to develop an interest in contemporary art and offering practical support for disabled young people to access sessions.
- Creating bespoke workshops for young adults excluded from school residing in our local community.
- Continuing informative ‘ Work in Progress Days for any artist to attend regardless of their educational and professional background.
Audience Development and Communications
NN will make significant progress in understanding its online and physical audiences through continual analysis of their behaviours and characteristics to further equality. Regular and comprehensive analysis using surveys, audits, website and social media analytics as well as the Audience Finder will allow NN to adjust its online engagement programme to the needs of its audiences and include their voices in its decision-making.
Groups and individuals that are not aware of NN will be targeted via its social media channels, newsletters as well as contact with community organisations, articles placed in specialist publications, mailing lists and databases.
We intend our future marketing and PR strategies to target a wide range of audiences, of different backgrounds, through a variety of media, drawing on our findings from audience research. We will seek support from local female, BAME and LGBTQIA+-led community groups in drafting marketing and PR campaigns.
NN will translate its website and future communication materials into multiple languages to reflect the diversity of our multicultural community, including Polish and Lithuanian, to reflect the multicultural landscape of Northampton.
Further, NN will advance the understanding of its audiences through working with Audience Development and Marketing Consultant to develop strategic Marketing and Communication strategies that take into account the diversity of our audiences, the town and the region.
We strive to:
- Ensure that NN’s programme is accessible and welcoming to all communities
- Communicate with our audiences in a respectful, accessible and understandable manner
- Nurture the diversity of our audiences and collaborators including artists, our audiences, partners and stakeholders and improve on their inclusion in NN’s programme and promotional materials
- Build a strong online presence as part of our Marketing and Communications strategy
- Build collaborative relationships with partners strongly rooted in the local community, building resilience if one drops out
- Develop sustained and meaningful relationships, not just ‘visits’, with particular groups
- Develop a model of data sharing for benchmarking to increase the understanding of our audiences on a national scale
- Examine our work regularly through staff and audience reviews and surveys, and discuss the findings with people
- Develop relationships with new audiences via online channels and sustain those already existing
- Be inclusive and welcoming in our programme and day-to-day communications
- Address any complaints and issues of institutional discrimination