Musarc: The Northampton Complaints Choir, ‘The Performance That Hasn’t Happened Yet’, 2023, NN Contemporary Art, Northampton.
Photograph by Tara Florence.
Curated by Simon Wright
Northampton Complaints Choir (Open Song) was a temporary choral society that emerged from a series of workshops and social events over the space of three weekends between April and July 2023 in Northampton: 22-23 April, 20-21 May, and 1- 2 July.
The project was commissioned as part of Sensing Place, an initiative by NN Contemporary Art that asks: what does it take to create more just and equal environments? How can we collaboratively inhabit places and foster a sense of belonging in our communities? The choir offers an opportunity to meet new people, experiment and take part in collective music making and performance.
Press and Media Coverage
- The Guardian ‘Satanic mills and sexy acorns: the choir complaining about Northampton’, 10 July 2023
- BBC Radio 4 World at One shoe – featured interview. 10 July 2023
- BBC News ‘Northampton ‘complaints choir’ to give a town a voice’, 1 July 2023
- BBC Radio Northampton, Kerrie Cosh (Andy Lake sitting in) – featured interview. 1 July 2023
- BBC Radio Northampton, Bernie Keith show – featured interview. 27 June 2023
2023, NN Contemporary Art, Northampton. By Tara Florence.